We spent first day of our long bank holiday weekend around the River Eden to the east of Carlisle. We started at Wetheral with its 15th century Priory Gatehouse and (mostly) 16th century church, and then moved on to Lanercost's 12th century Priory.
|The 15th century Gatehouse is all that remains of the Priory which was established on the site in the 13th century
|Holy Trinity church with its octagonal tower
|Medieval glass window above the main entrance
|Faith, a white marble sculpture of Lady Maria Howard by Joseph Nollekens dates from 1789. It is housed in a separate, purpose-built (but unfortunately locked) side chapel.
|The Howard Chapel. Nollekens regarded the sculpture as his finest work and when he learned that it was to be hidden away in a locked chapel, he wept.
|Wetheral village green
|Not much is known about the unusual cross on the green
|Lanercost Priory - the left-hand section is used as the parish church
|The east window of the church looks directly into the priory ruins. It mostly clear, apart from some medieval fragments.
|The embroidered Dossal, designed by William Morris in 1881, hangs behind the altar. It has recently been subject to major restoration and cleaning.
|Most of the 13th century Lanercost Cross is now housed inside the church
|The original site of the Cross, near the church
|On our way back to the M6 we stopped at Talkin Tarn to stretch our legs